Sunday, March 21, 2010

…and it goes on

Ah…another week. Over. I can’t believe that we started the semester 5 weeks ago. It doesn’t seem like that long. I guess that’s a good thing. It means that I’m that much closer to summer, and internship (hopefully). We’re doing some more interesting classes, more practical than last semester, though a bit harder and a LOT busier.

I’ve started helping out at church a bit – I’m going to try to make it to the youth group on Friday nights, and help out. We also had a “young adult” day yesterday – we went hiking in Caoling, a place I had never been before – really pretty, but a LOT of stairs. I met some new people, invited one of my Taiwanese friends, and had some good conversations along the way.

For the past few weeks, I’ve been going to ITRI, a local company, on Wednesdays, to do a Bible study/English class. It brings back a lot of memories from my days as an English teacher – lesson planning, etc. It’s been good. I’ve met some good people, and enjoy the time I spend there. There’s a range of English levels, and I think everyone understands a different amount.

We’re going through Mere Christianity. I’m reading the book, taking notes, then making a summary and study guide each week. It’s time consuming, but I’m learning a lot, about teaching, my faith, and how to interact with the Chinese culture.

-------------------------------------

I don’t know. What does it mean to be a Christian? Why are there so many people who say their Christians, yet don’t act like it. I know that I’ve got a long way to go, but at least I’m trying to go in the right direction – trying to go 2 steps forward before taking 1 step back. Thankfully, there are a few guys that I’ve been able to meet who are real Christians, and we’re going to try to meet up for a Bible study.

------------------------------------

Please pray that God would multiply my time and my finances, and that He would use me to touch my classmates and acquaintances. I feel like every time I try to say something about my beliefs, it comes out wrong, and has the opposite effect of what I want to say. God’s put me with so many people who need Him, and all I can do is live my life, and leave it in His hands.

I was reminded this week that reaching the lost isn’t the focus of our lives. Our only goal in life is to be a living sacrifice to Jesus Christ. Nothing else matters. If God uses us to reach others, that’s only frosting on the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment